Dianne R. Davis' Views Of Vegas
- Category: Dianne R. Davis' Views Of Vegas
- Published on 21 February 2012
- Written by Dianne R. Davis
Movie Fans & Celebs Will Celebrate Academy Awards® In Vegas
By Dianne R. Davis
Photos by Dianne or Burt Davis
Variety Charity Will Benefit & Shirley Jones to be Honored
Would you love to be in Hollywood watching celebrities walk the red carpet leading to the Academy Awards® on February 26? So would I! But since we can't, I've got the next best thing for you. Las Vegas is putting out its own red carpet for fans and celebrities alike. Movie and Vegas lovers will be pouring in from all over the country to watch the 84thth Academy Awards® from the City of Entertainment - Las Vegas!
Besides enjoying all the excitement, fans will be able to support Variety through the proceeds from Oscar Night Las Vegas. This weekend of events centered around the Oscars is officially sanctioned by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
The Academy Awards weekend will include fashion shows, a Welcome Reception, Oscar Night Red Carpet arrivals of local and international celebrities, a special theater viewing party hostd by Kevin Burke, and an Oscar Night after party at the Playboy Club at the Palms.
Kevin Burke & Playboy Bunny Lagraciella
"Oscar Night® is an event meant to be a shared with others. This is a natural extension of that experience," said Academy CEO Dawn Hudson. “We are thrilled to be able to celebrate the movies with fans nationwide.”
“This also represents the year-round philanthropic work that the Academy does,” said Ms. Hudson. Proceeds from Oscar Night® Las Vegas will benefit Variety, The Children's Charity of Southern Nevada, dedicated to providing services for children with special needs in the Las Vegas community since 1950.
On Saturday, Feb. 25, legendary actress Shirley Jones and her husband Marty Ingels, actor, comedian and theatrical agent, will be special guests of honor at a reception hosted by Variety at The Palms Place Hotel. Jones will be presented with a Gold Heart Award by Variety Entertainer's Charity.
"Variety is pleased to salute Shirley Jones not only as a 50-year-plus Academy Award® recipient, but also for her outstanding film, television and stage career," said Variety Tent 39 President and Chief Barker Kari Ayers. “Variety also will honor her for a lifetime commitment to charitable and humanitarian causes.”
"Shirley will follow in the footsteps of Jack Benny, Carol Channing, Sammy Davis Jr., Vincent Price, Ed Sullivan, Elizabeth Taylor and many other celebrities who have travelled to Las Vegas to support Variety Tent 39 and the local children served," added Ms. Ayers.
In addition to her Oscar® and multiple Emmy® and Golden Globe® nominations, Shirley Jones is known and loved for her role as the matriarch in the 1970's ABC television series "The Partridge Family."
Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn G. Goodman has proclaimed Sunday, Feb. 26, as “Shirley Jones Day” in The City of Las Vegas.
Dozens of other celebrities are expected to attend Oscar Night® Las Vegas including Emmy® and Tony®award winner Hal Linden, star of the 1970ʼs sitcom “Barney Miller;” Michael Godard, the rock star of the art world; “Storage Wars” reality TV stars Brandi Passante and Jarrod Schulz; and American music legends The World Famous Ink Spots.
Kevin Burke and Playboy Bunny Lagraciella look forward to greeting movie fans on Oscar Night
Las Vegas headliners will include Kevin Burke, star of “Defending The Caveman” at Harrahʼs, actress/dancer Angel Porrino and actor/singer Josh Strickland from “Absinthe” at Caesars Palace, comedy magician Nathan Burton, and Zowie Bowie, hosts of “Name That Tune” at Imperial Palace Hotel.
Nathan Burton with fan Annette Szabo
Chris Phillips aka Zowie Bowie
Oscar Night® Las Vegas will feature a weekend of free and ticketed events open to the public, including:
• “Red Carpet Ready” fashion shows presented by Saks Fifth Avenue, Friday and Sunday, Feb. 24 & 26, Noon to 6:00 p.m. hourly, at Fashion Show on The Las Vegas Strip. Free Admission.
• Variety Celebrity Welcome Reception, Saturday, Feb. 25, 6:30 to 8:00 p.m., at The Palms Place Hotel Penthouse. Oscar® winner Shirley Jones will be presented with the Variety Gold Heart Award. Tickets: $95 per person.
• Oscar Night® Red Carpet hosted by Chet Buchanan, host of “The Morning Zoo” (KLUC-FM) and Dao Vu, co-host of “The Morning Blend” (KTNV-TV), with limousine arrivals by film, television and show business celebrities, Sunday, Feb. 26, 3:00 to 5:00 p.m., at The Palms Casino Resort West Entrance and Brenden Theatres Lobby. Free Admission.
• Theater viewing parties for the live telecast of the 84th Academy Awards®, Sunday, Feb. 26, 4:00 to 8:00 p.m., at Brenden Theatres in The Palms Casino Resort. Tickets: $50 per person for General Admission; $125 per person/$200 per couple for admission to The Nevada State Bank Celebrity Theatre hosted by Kevin Burke, star of “Defending The Caveman.
• ”Oscar Night® After-Party at The Playboy Club in The Palms Casino Resort. Doors open at 9:00 pm. Cover Charge: $20 (Complimentary admission for Oscar Night® Las Vegas ticket holders).
Tickets for Oscar Night® Las Vegas events are available online at www.ONALV.org